Friday, November 07, 2008

A Black President

Truly incredible. To think that just during my lifetime, we have moved from a bitter battle over legal segregation to a convincing presidential victory for a black man, with support from three states of the old Confederacy.

President Bush had some eloquent remarks outside the White House on the occasion:

It will be a stirring sight to watch President Obama, his wife, Michelle, and their beautiful girls step through the doors of the White House. I know millions of Americans will be overcome with pride at this inspiring moment that so many have awaited so long. I know Senator Obama's beloved mother and grandparents would have been thrilled to watch the child they raised ascend the steps of the Capitol -- and take his oath to uphold the Constitution of the greatest nation on the face of the earth.

I thought his reference to the first black First Family walking through those doors to be particularly moving, echoing the ugly site during the civil rights era of white men -- government officials -- physically blocking entrance to the schoolhouse doors. (Read his full remarks here.)

No, I did not vote for Barack Obama. But I judge a man by the content of his character, not his skin color. While I found Obama's character and politics to be wanting, I am pleased and proud that the vast majority of Americans did not cast their vote based on his skin color.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a 165 year old former slave named Jimmy and I would prefer to be called Negro not Black.

Jimmy

Greg Erken said...

You've taken to this newfangled Web thing pretty well for such an old timer.

Anonymous said...

I take educational classes at the local community college whixh are most enlightening.

Jimmy